Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 51 to 58 of 58

Thread: screenplay EXERCISE

  1. #51
    Inactive Member ac_01's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 18th, 2001
    Posts
    226
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Steak sandwich. [img]wink.gif[/img]

    Some bits I liked:
    The scene with the dog where he's apathetic to the whole situation.
    The muted sound from Amy's screaming.

    For some reason I expected there to be more of an inner struggle from Joshua. I mean, he likes Amy but he didn't think twice about having her for dinner. If you know what I mean. I would have expected/liked to see him to struggle with his animal self over killing Amy. That would have made him a bit more tragic.

    But apart from that it was good. A solid piece. Written well.

  2. #52
    Senior Hostboard Member deanl's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2000
    Posts
    1,082
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey there.

    Just testing something.

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">code:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><pre> FADE IN:

    INT. A ROOM - NIGHT

    A normal looking room, decorated and furnished with no
    particular style. A coffee table, a TV a couch. Nothing
    special. Moonlight streams in from a small window at the far
    side of the room.

    A MAN stands at the same window, looking at the dark night
    sky.

    (V.O.)
    Some people would call this my prison...
    My cell... Nothing more than my
    upholstered ****eon... They're wrong of
    course... This is the only place I can
    truly be free. The only place I can be
    me...

    EXT. PARK - DAY

    A lush green park on a warm summers day. People are playing
    all kinds of games, having picnics and enjoying the warm
    weather.

    JOSHUWA BAPKIN a good looking man in his early thirties,
    walks through the park. Just in front of Joshuwa a man walks
    his dog. Joshuwa watches the man as he viciously pulls on the
    dogs lead. The dog cowers at his "masters" heel.

    Joshuwa, the Man and his Dog walk past a group of teenagers
    play FRISBEE.

    The dog see's the Frisbee in the air and tries to run in that
    direction. Once again the man pulls viciously at the lead,
    the leather strap snaps... The dog escapes, running strait
    for the Frisbee.

    The dog follows the Frisbee through the air. Barking and
    growling the dog heads strait for the Frisbee, which is now
    in the hands of a TEENAGE BOY.

    The Boys fellow Frisbee players look on in horror.

    MAN
    (shouting to the boy)
    Drop it... Michael, throw it away.

    The boy throws the Frisbee... It's too late...

    The dog has lost all interest in the toy and jumps up at the
    terrified boy, biting and scratching at his arm.

    Bystanders scream as they see the horrific attack play out in
    front of them. Joshuwa watches as men and women run over and
    try and pull the rabid dog away.

    He finishes his cigarette, lights another and walks on.
    Leaving the mayhem behind him.

    EXT. MAIN STREET - DAY

    Joshuwa still smoking, approaches A SMALL SEEDY BAR. He gets
    rid of the cigarette and looks at his watch. It's stopped.
    He taps it with his finger. That doesn't help. He takes at a
    long look at the clear blue sky, drops the cigarette and goes
    inside.

    INT. BAR - DAY

    The bar is dead. Joshuwa takes a looks around. He sees just
    the BARTENDER and a few HARD DRINKERS.

    He heads for the bar.

    BARTENDER
    What can I get ya?

    JOSHUWA
    Whiskey... Strait.

    The Bartender fixes the drink and passes it over.

    Joshuwa downs it in one and points to the bottle.

    JOSHUWA (CONT'D)
    Another.

    The Bartender fixes a second drink. Again, Joshuwa downs it
    in one.

    JOSHUWA (CONT'D)
    One more.

    (O.S.)
    (Jokingly)
    Well gee whizz. Someone's thirsty.

    Joshuwa turns around to see AMY, a smart looking women in her
    twenties. She sits at a table surrounded by a pile of books.
    She looks totally out of place in the bar.

    AMY
    I could buy you a bowl of water if you
    really want to quench that thirst.

    Holding up his third drink.

    JOSHUWA
    No. Thanks. This will be fine.

    AMY
    It's just that you don't look like the
    usual Monday afternoon whiskey drinker.

    JOSHUWA
    I'm not. It's one of those days. You
    know?

    AMY
    Sit here long enough and you see all
    kinds of "those days"... I'm sorry. I'm
    Amy.

    The pair shake hands.

    JOSHUWA
    I'm Joshuwa. What about you?

    Looking at the books on the table.
    What kind of day is this?

    AMY
    I don't know. A tedious one?

    JOSHUWA
    Can I buy you a drink?

    AMY
    No. I'm fine thanks... Pointing to the
    seat opposite.

    AMY (CONT'D)
    Take the weight off.

    Joshuwa takes a seat.

    JOSHUWA
    So what are you doing in a place like
    this? I'm sure there are better places
    to study...

    He picks up a book and reads the title.

    JOSHUWA (CONT'D)
    Cats?

    AMY
    Zoology. The reason I'm in a place like
    this, is my father owns it.

    JOSHUWA
    Really? Nice.

    AMY
    (sarcastically)
    Yup. One day, all this will be mine.

    JOSHUWA
    That's quite a legacy.

    AMY
    Maybe one day I'll convert it...

    JOSHUWA
    Into what? A Zoo?

    AMY
    I was thinking of something on a somewhat
    smaller scale.

    The two giggle.

    AMY (CONT'D)
    So... We know why I'm here...

    There is an awkward silence.

    JOSHUWA
    (Jokingly)
    You should be encouraging your clientele
    to come in here and drink.
    (Takes a moment)
    Not questioning their motives.

    Another awkward pause.

    AMY
    OK, Joshuwa. You seem like a nice guy.
    And I'm feeling adventuress.

    She looks at her watch.

    AMY (CONT'D)
    It's lunchtime. I'm Hungry. You want to
    come and get something to eat with me?

    Joshuwa seems shocked by how forward Amy is.

    JOSHUWA
    Sure... I could go for a steak sandwich.

    AMY
    So your a meat eater...

    Amy looks to the bartender.
    Hey Jimmy.

    The bartender looks back. Amy points to the books.

    AMY (CONT'D)
    I'm going to leave this stuff here and go
    get some lunch.

    He nods an OK and goes back to what he was doing.

    Amy stands up and picks up her bag.

    AMY (CONT'D)
    (to Joshuwa)
    Come on... You waiting for a written
    invitation? Lets go eat.

    EXT. STREET - LATER

    Joshuwa and Amy walk down a busy street. Their body language
    is much more intimate than you would expect from two people
    who have known each other for just a couple of hours. They
    could almost pass for a couple.

    AMY
    I've really enjoyed myself today. Your a
    refreshing change Mr. Joshuwa Bapkin.

    JOSHUWA
    I'm sure you say that to all the boys.

    AMY
    I don't make a habit or picking up men
    you know. Especially men from my dads
    bar.

    JOSHUWA
    So that's what you did? You picked me
    up?

    AMY
    You seemed like a nice enough guy. I
    thought I would treat you to lunch.
    I had a great time. So I guess the
    gamble paid off.

    JOSHUWA
    You paid for lunch. How about you let me
    pay for dinner? Are you doing anything
    tonight?

    AMY
    Are you asking me on a date?

    JOSHUWA
    I'm asking you to have dinner with me.
    If you wanna call it a date, That's fine
    by me.

    AMY
    Then a date it is.

    JOSHUWA
    What time should I pick you up?

    AMY
    About Nine?

    JOSHUWA
    NO.
    (beat)
    I mean... That's a little late for me.

    AMY
    Eight?

    JOSHUWA
    Great.

    AMY
    I'll come and pick you up. I prefer to
    drive. Is that OK.

    JOSHUWA
    What? Yes. Yes of course. Even better.

    They are back outside the Bar.

    AMY
    Well this is me.

    JOSHUWA
    So I guess I will see you at eight.

    AMY
    Aren't you forgetting something?

    JOSHUWA
    Erm..... I don't know.

    AMY
    Your address. I have no idea where you
    live.

    JOSHUWA
    Oh, right. I'm sorry. Taking out a
    piece of paper.

    JOSHUWA (CONT'D)
    Do you have a pen?

    EXT. PARK - DAY

    It's later in the day and the park is almost empty.

    Joshuwa walks past the scene of the dog attack earlier that
    day.

    He walks across the grass to the exact spot where it
    happened. Kneeling Down, he sees a pool of dried blood on the
    grass. Dog or man. It's impossible to tell. Its just a dark
    mess.

    FADE OUT:

    FADE IN:

    EXT. NIGHT SKY

    It's a clear night. Stars surround a bright full moon.

    INT. A ROOM - NIGHT

    The same room we started in. Joshuwa stands looking out of
    the window at the dark night sky. The full moon casts a blue
    tint over his face and the room.

    JOSHUWA (V.O.)
    Some people would call this my prison...

    Joshuwa backs away from the window we see for the first time
    the window has bars across the outside.

    JOSHUWA (V.O.) (CONT'D)
    My cell...

    Joshuwa walks over to the door. It is kept shut via dozens
    of locks.

    He takes the keys from each lock and pushes them through the
    letter box and out of reach.

    He turns and looks at the room.

    JOSHUWA (V.O.) (CONT'D)
    Nothing more than my upholstered
    ****eon...

    With his back to us, Joshuwa heads to the closet.

    JOSHUWA (V.O.) (CONT'D)
    They're wrong of course...

    He opens the closet. AMY gagged and bound, falls out and
    hits the floor violently.

    Joshuwa un-gaggs her.

    She starts screaming.

    The sound of the scene changes becomes more muted.

    The V.O stays at a constant volume.

    JOSHUWA (V.O.) (CONT'D)
    This is the only place I can truly be
    free.

    Joshuwa walks back over to the window, takes one last look at
    the dark night sky, at the bright full moon.

    He reaches up and pulls down an steal shutter. The kind that
    covers the front of shops. It was hidden by the certain.

    The window is closed off completely.

    In the background we see Amy struggle to her feet. She heads
    for the door, trying somehow to get it open. It's pointless.

    JOSHUWA (V.O.) (CONT'D)
    The only place I can be me...

    We see Joshuwa from behind, as he locks the shutter. He turns
    and looks over his shoulder. We punch into a C.U on his
    face.

    JOSHUWA (V.O.) (CONT'D)
    The ONLY place I can be me.

    Joshuwa's eyes turn RED. His face distorts.

    Random patches of fur begin to sprout from his face.

    His teeth grow.

    We hear Amy's scream in the back ground get louder and
    louder.

    FADE TO BLACK:

    We hear the screams joined by a evil growling noise. Then
    Chaos.

    THE END:
    </pre></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Despin out.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 31, 2002 11:18 AM: Message edited by: Despin entertainment ]</font>

  3. #53
    Senior Hostboard Member deanl's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2000
    Posts
    1,082
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey there.

    Well it didnt work. So just forget you ever saw it.

    Despin out.

  4. #54
    Inactive Member ickle_jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2002
    Posts
    179
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    it sorta worked. Center aligned stuff... but the double spacing wasnt there [img]confused.gif[/img]

  5. #55
    Inactive Member emjen's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 9th, 2002
    Posts
    747
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    woah how did you do that?

    Enlighten us with your wisdom.

  6. #56
    Senior Hostboard Member miker's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 1999
    Posts
    2,621
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    it also shows up as fixed-width font in my browser, which is a **** of a lot easier to read.

  7. #57
    Inactive Member Gemela's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 31st, 2002
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah this sounds good. I am willing to give it a go. I'm not bothered by the subject, i would be willing to do any of your ideas. It will be a good way for me to get the oppinion of others. Plus i'm on holidays now anyway so i have alot of time to write my scripts.
    Gemma

  8. #58
    Ralph Snart
    Guest Ralph Snart's Avatar

    Post

    The audience is facing three offset flat plasma display monitors. Connected to computers etc.
    The outer two are still behind curtains.

    (Let's use the Zen and the art of moterbike maint as a baseline. The Narr. is the fruitcake.)

    Three to five minuits of music and a pastel central screen; charcoal or dark blue. lead into the opening narration.
    (it gives the production an epic feel re:BEN HUR and the music is a forshadowing of future events. I saw something like it work at a shownig of foul play.)

    The narr begins speaking to the audience in a distracted but intent tone of voice as if he is speaking to himself.

    As the music draws to a close stop motion clouds begin to move without relent across center screen.

    Music fades:
    Storm sounds build along with a distracted melody.

    Narr 1: "Have you ever walked; not very fast, against a chill autumn breeze. That- nothing sound that you keep with you; makes you feel hollow and alone, if you think about it to much or for to long or often.

    People ask me what it was like then and what it is like now."

    the last words echo as...

    Tim and Leon enter with a mood of quiet conspiricy.
    Wispering and sniggering.

    Narr 2: (unseen)"But then again they have been like that since the storm; and people just consider it the good grace of god. And hope it does not get much worse."

    Leon: "Chuckachuckazorrrt! *********** , snicker."

    Tim: "Perty!"

    Images of small furry creatures and people in frogmen outfits flury by on the screens.

    Narr 2: (unseen) "Christ!"


    Leon: "gizzitchuckle... you hear somthin'?"

    Tim: "The only thin' I hear is old lady Cornwallace defending the chastity and virtue of her prize winning Sow.

    Leon: "I never liked that pig to begin with."

    Tim: "Leon a times you concern me."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •